Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Uses of the verb : To have

What do you know about the verb "To have"?
The verb to have has 2 meanings (2 uses);
1. It means :to own, to possess.
- I have a book.
2 As a helping verb, used in the present perfect tense.
- I have washed the car.



When it means "to own", as in the example
'I have a book', this is the present simple. If (He/she/ it) was used, we use 'has' (we cannot add an 's' he haves).
- She has a book.
















The past of "I have something" is "I had something".
# 'Had' is used with all the pronouns.
See The Past Simple
- I had a book.
- We had a car.
- He/ she / it had a ball.
- They had a house.
# The negative of 'had' is 'didn't have':
I had a car = I didn't have a car.
She had a house => she didn't have a house.

etc.

#The future of "I have something" is "I will have something".
When we use 'will', you always use 'have' not 'has'.
-( He will have a car.) not ( he will has a car.)
(This is the future simple).
Note:
The verb 'to have' is used in many expressions like:
-To have a shower.
-To have a good time.
# 'To have' sometimes means 'To eat'.
- I had  a sandwich. ( = I ate a sandwich.)
- We had dinner.

2.Another use of 'to have' is as a helping verb in the present tense:
-The verb after 'have' is in the past participle.
- It has rained.
- I can't find my pen, have you seen it?
- My friends haven't come to the party yet.
Note: you have to know the past participle of the verb to know how to form the present perfect
Check the List of Irregular Verbs
If you want to know more about the use of the Present Perfect,
Click here: The Present Perfect
I hope you enjoyed the article, if you have, share it & if you have any questions, comments or suggestions, leave them below please....till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment