Tuesday, January 13, 2015

The Simplest Overview of the Grammar Tenses. (12 tenses)


In English you can express an action according to:
-whether it continues to happen.
-Has a result on a future time   OR
- it is simple.
And in any language something can happen in the past, present, or in the future.

So we have:
1. Past Simple.
       (I did).
2. Past Continuous.
       (I was doing).
3.Past Perfect.
       (I had done)
4. Present Simple.
       (I do).
5. Present Continuous.
       (I am doing).

6. Present Perfect.
       (I have done).
7. Future Simple.
       (I will do).
8. Future Continuous.
       (I will be doing).
9. Future Perfect.
       (I will have done).
But these are only 9! What are the other three tenses?
Simple! They are:
10.  Present Perfect Continuous.
         (I have been doing).
11.  Past Perfect Continuous.
         ( I had been doing).
& finally
12.  Future Perfect Continuous.
         (I will have been doing).
# You shouldn't feel intimidated by how many tenses there are! On the contrary, you should be happy to know how they are formed & excited to learn how they are used. Also, of course, not all of them are used in daily spoken language! ( Good news, right?).
So, now you know the frame, the skeleton of the grammar.If you take your time and study them, you'll have made a great breakthrough. If you enjoyed this article, share it & if you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please write them below.
You might also check :
-The Present Perfect from A-Z
-Grammar Terms: What's a noun, verb, adverb..etc-The "simple" Past Simple

Till next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment